Monday, February 5, 2007

Journal Entry 15

Chapter 15. Die drei Leute vom Labor

"I am not even alive enough to know how to kill myself," Levi said. (pg.144)

I can almost feel Levi's agony as he reflects back to the time when he was a free man. Auschwitz was not only a place where men were stolen of their freedom, but it was also a place where men were drained from their soul. Although part of Levi still wanted to be to be a free man, it was hard for him to resist the pain of remembering it. How far had Levi's mind and soul become detached from the world, that rememberance of such freedom brought him shame and horror. The fact that he was able to work in the labarotory was lucky, but yet frightful. Since he knew he didn't have to work in the cold and suffer from the labor, the 'humanness' of him was starting to come back. And Levi felt uncomfortable. This is ironic because the two emotions are contradicting. If I had the opportunity of working in the labarotory in Auschwitz, I would have taken the job without hesitation. I wonder what it was that made Levi feel this way ...

(This chapter is the rising action toward the climax. )

No comments: