Monday, February 5, 2007

Journal Entry 6

March 3, 2007

Chapter 6. The Work

I was able to reflect back to some of the unnecessary complaints in my life. It' s funny how easily we get frustrated by considerably tiny things, such as a rainy day, homework, or untasty food. Many of us seem to have poor attitudes toward the things that are given to us. We lack gratitude and consideration because we have all have the tendency to 'want' more things - greediness. If we were deprived of wordly things - things that are required to live a healthy life - then how would we ever survive? I bet if we were put into the concentration camps, most of us wouldn't be able to survive. I dare not say "I'm definitely going to survive!" because I know that would never be possible (after having read through this chapter). The work at the camp was draining and endless. Levi says that there is no time to think about the afternoon, which sort of implies that there is no hope for the future.

Sometimes I wonder if I have too many things. Wealth tends to blind a person from seeing small but important things around him. Money can lead to better conditions, but it can also lead to a dead end, where a person fails to realize true happiness. This chapter was insightful because I was able to think once again about some of things that I should be thankful for ... Many of the work given to me from school, parents, or other places cannot be compared to any of the things Primo Levi went through in Auschwitz. I wonder how tormenting it would have been, and it brings me a feeling of hopelessness.

No comments: