Monday, February 5, 2007

Journal Entry 0

February 6, 2007

Documentary Response

Unbelievable - as if every single word, sentence, and paragraph of the survivors who were in this documentary was fictional. The pictures and video of this 'unhumanistic' place Auswitchz seemed like a total lie, and even towards the end of the film, my emotion was left stunned and petrified. The concentration camp was a like a human factory. Supposedly 'humans' are to be the resources transported into the factory, but in the end, no products are produced. There is absolutely no gain or profit. It's almost like half of a factory, where it only transports in goods, but does not export them back out. Imagine the fate of millions of innocent people driven to be burned, shot, and buried ... For some strange reason, I consistently tried to deny the fact that all of what I saw was TRUE. The nerves inside my body wanted to reject this reality of random slaughter. This is how 'real' and calamitous Auswitchz was .. something that nobody wants to ever remember...

Watching the documentary was worst than watching a horror movie. Typically, when I watch a scary movie, I enjoy the suspense or horror for the full two hours; however, soon that slight amusement would vanish. Although the documentary didn't include bloody-red scenes or ghosts as in scary movies, I felt something - an irresistable force approaching my soul. It was different. There were more deeper levels of emotions - a kind of sympathy as well as abhorrence that stirred in my heart. My mind kept repeating 'WHY WHY WHY!" It's an irony of what men are capable of doing ...

The extermination of the Jews were more than a murder; it was an appalling crime against humanity. It seemed like a lottery, where people were randomly chosen to be killed. If you weren't of the 'Aryan' race, then you were considered to be impure. The reason a person was taken to a concentration camp was not because he was a terrorist or because he was a frightening threat to the Germans, but only because of his race. The adversary was the blood inside him. These people had no hope or future. They not only starved for food but also for human kindess.

Where could such disdain and hatred come from? Where in the world can such bigotry set its roots in? Indeed, this was the worst thing that can happen to humanity. This incident was more than a suffering to the survivors. It was hell. It's a memory that cannot be erased or deleted. Every scenary of this camp is engraved into their hearts, which left a terrible scar. I don't know even if I could ever forget this trauma ... I know I can never fully understand what went on in the camps, but one thing I definitely know is that this catastrophe was a thousand times worse than any of the adversities I've been through in my life. And that explains almost everything.

No comments: