Monday, February 5, 2007

Journal Entry 1

February 11, 2007

Chapter 1. The Journey

I wonder what it would be like ... a journey toward nothingness ...


Primo Levi used many similes and images to portray his journey - a journey not only to Auschwitz but also toward his 'unfelt' emotions, struggles that are indescribable with words, horror that is unimaginable with our minds. He believes that even what he went through isn't enough to tell the story of such atrocity. Those who've been in the gas chambers, those who are burned to ashes, those who were shot knew the true journey of being in Auschwitz.

The fear among the survivors were incredible; to the point where each individual became numb to the fear around them. This 'numb' fear led to the knowing of death, which later became the Primo Levi's key to his survival in Auschwitz. His acceptance of a hopless future enabled him to withstand the absurdities in the camp. He lived everyday like he would die tomorrow, which made him less vulnerable to insanity.

I'm still unconcious to the things that happened - to the words that are translated in this book. How could anyone allow such thing to happen? The Holocaust not only reveals the mistakes of the Nazis, but it also reveals the darkness of mankind. We can be so manipulative. It's funny how many of us try to appear noble outwardly, but carry such treacherous intentions inwardly. We might state, "I'm striving toward happiness," but sometimes I ponder whether or not our real ambitions are for success and fame.

It's astounding to read just the first part of the book. The Journey ... If I am so awestruck by the first chapter, I wonder how worse things would get towards the end of the reading. If I was told that my last destination was to 'nowhere' would I have lived life the way I'm living it right now? Would my attitude in the journey towards a vision have remained the same? Of course not. Through reading, I'm overly thankful for the things that are given to me, for the security of being home, and for knowing that my life has a purpose.

No comments: